10 Good Reasons to Register a
There are very good reasons to register your trade mark.
A trade mark is one of the most important business assets you¡¯ll ever own. It is your name or your logo that distinguishes your company services or products in the marketplace.
The advances in IT and the Internet mean that information is more freely available to the public and your competitors. As a consequence it is now much easier for a competitor to take advantage of your hard earned reputation.
By registering your trade mark you can prevent others from using your business identity which can lead to confusion for your customers and damage your reputation.
- Registration of your trade mark gives you legal protection for your mark.
- Registration of your trade mark gives you the exclusive right to use the mark across Malaysia.
- A trade mark registration is valid for 10 years, and can be renewed every 10 years thereafter.
- The use of an unregistered trade mark can lead to a lengthy, expensive legal dispute over who has the right to use it.
- A trade mark registration is proof of your ownership. In a dispute, the registered owner does not have to prove ownership; the onus is on the challenger.
- A registered trade mark is a valuable asset for your business.
- A trade mark is property and can be licensed or sold like any other property.